Monday, February 15, 2010

Pizza Cake

Following you'll find directions to make the cake Micah had for his birthday this year. If you'd like, you can easily make this cake for a celebration of your own.

Do not be intimidated, this is super simple to make and really fun!


The Pizza Cake


1. Bake a yellow cake mix [according to directions on box] in a greased and floured rimmed pizza pan. Our 13" pan took about 25 min @ 350', but watch yours for a nice browning on top. I made 2 layers and spread chocolate frosting between the two.

2. Spread top layer of cake with strawberry jam just like you would tomato sauce on a pizza crust.



3. Top generously with grated almond bark [cheese].

Cheese
Microwave the block at 12 sec. intervals [rotating block each time] to get it just soft enough to achieve a smooth curl of "cheese" as you grate. If the almond bark is not soft enough you'll get parmesan instead of mozzerella cheese.



4. Decorate with your favorite "pizza" toppings. I choose; fruit roll "pepperoni," green [store bought] cookie icing "green peppers," and dried blueberry "olives."

Pepperoni
Cut 4 fruit rolls into circles. For perfect circles, trace circle pattern [mine was our salt shaker] on the plastic peel-off side. Then cut, peel, and arrange on your pizza.



Green Peppers
Squeeze icing into pepper shapes on wax paper and freeze for 20 min. Gently remove with spatula. Gently. I broke a few.



Olives
I added a little moisture to the dried blueberries by microwaving them about 20 sec. with a splash of water added to their bowl.


The day before our Pizza Cake was made, I stopped by a local pizza place. They gladly gave me a box free of cost when I explained what I was making. Hope you find the same for yours! The box really made the cake - more confusing for all the kids at Micah's party. :0)



Let me know how your Pizza Cake turns out! And if it's your birthday, how your celebrating goes.

3 comments:

  1. Kyla - I love your creativity friend! Caleb loves pizza -- it'd be fun to see his reaction if I ever made this. And thanks to your post, I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that pizza cake idea...awesome!

    ReplyDelete