Saturday, March 6, 2010

The crack of the bat



Spring time is starting to show its face here in Kansas City. With the rising temps and greening grass comes the fresh hope of a new baseball season. For the poor souls that call ourselves Royal's fans, it's been a rough twenty years. I'm 26 and I have yet to watch the Royal's play in a post-season game. Sad. Very sad.

None the less, I am one of the KC faithful who excitedly looks forward to each new season. The prospects, the free agents...you just never know when lightening might be caught in a bottle. Despite the tough times, one of my favorite summer pastimes is listening to the Royals radio broadcast. Denny Matthews and company are familiar voices around our house. If you've spent much time around me in the summer you've probably heard a game or two.

With the impending move I knew it may be now or never for me to experience what every fan should. Your team's season opener. Outside of postseason play, I don't think you will find a game with more excitement, anticipation, or energy than opening day. So, as of 9:23 this morning, I'm happy to say we will be a part of that experiece on April 5, 2010.

Today we joined the ranks of the crazy people who stand in rediculously long lines to purchase opening day tickets the morning they go on sale. We even went the night before to get a wristband that would get us closer to the front of the line when we came back this morning. It was a fun experience and in many ways felt like an early extension of the opening day drama.

The game will also mark the final event for us in Kansas City. As of now, our plan is to depart KC the following day. Gradually making our way towards Arkansas, hopefully via Texas, but we'll have to wait and see. Win or lose, I'm thankful for the opportunity to depart Kansas City on such a high note.

Go Royals!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment